What Is AWS CodeStar?
AWS CodeStar helps you develop software development projects on AWS. It is a cloud-based service for creating, managing, and working with software. Using AWS CodeStar, you can quickly develop, build, and deploy applications on AWS. As you know, AWS offers many services that you can use separately based on your requirements, but the AWS CodeStar helps you integrate those separate services in one place so you can start and manage your project easily. Be it a toolchain for source control, build, deployment, virtual servers or serverless resources, and more, with AWS CodeStar, you not only can integrate with it but also get many integration options for your comfort.
Plus, AWS CodeStar allows you to manage the permissions required for project users. Once you add users as team members to an AWS CodeStar project, you can quickly grant each team member access to a project and its resources.
Benefits of Using AWS CodeStar:
- Develop Faster on AWS: When you set up your entire development environment and programming tools for coding, building, testing, and deploying on AWS, you can develop your applications faster. With a quick environment setup, you can start new software projects on AWS in minutes using templates for web applications, web services, and more.
- Automatic Resource Provisioning: When you start creating a project using CodeStar, AWS automatically provisions many underlying resources like AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS EC2 instances, AWS S3 Buckets, and AWS CodeCommit repository. And with the help of automatic resource provisioning, you can create a continuous delivery pipeline.
- Visualize, Operate, and Collaborate in One Place: AWS CodeStar provides a project dashboard that helps you keep track of the overall project, its toolchain, and important events. You can monitor the latest project activity, recent code commits, and track the status of your code changes, build results, and deployments, all from the same webpage. You can monitor the project from a single dashboard and get insights into problems to fix them.
- Pre-Built Templates: CodeStar gives you the option to choose from many pre-built templates that offer you flexibility and solve most of your worries in minutes.
- Offers Different IDEs: With CodeStar, you can edit code in three ways that include AWS Cloud9 IDE, a set of external IDEs like Eclipse or Visual Studio, or CLI.
- Team Collaboration: You can add team members for your project and define their roles in terms of owners, contributors, etc. AWS CodeStar provides a central console where you can assign project team members the roles they need to access tools and resources. These permissions are applied automatically across all AWS services used in your project, so you don't need to create or manage complex IAM policies.
- Quick Iteration With Required Tools: AWS CodeStar includes an integrated development toolchain for your project. Hence, team members can push code, and changes are automatically deployed. Integration with issue tracking allows team members to eye for the next activity.
What Is the Project Template in AWS CodeStar?
Whether you’re a beginner or pro, with AWS CodeStar project templates, you can start a project in no time. These templates are nothing but a combination of AWS resources created to support your development project. When you choose an AWS CodeStar project template, the application type, programming language, and compute platform are provisioned for you. But do not worry if you want to change these resources later. Anytime, you can modify the AWS resources according to your need.
Types of Project Template
AWS CodeStar offers different kinds of templates for your development projects. Here is a list of templates that you can use.
- Templates for Compute Platform:
- For the AWS Elastic Beanstalk project, you deploy to an AWS Elastic Beanstalk environment on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud instances in the cloud.
- For the Amazon EC2 project, AWS CodeStar creates Linux EC2 instances to host your application in the cloud. Project team members can access instances.
- For the AWS Lambda, AWS CodeStar creates a serverless environment accessed through Amazon API Gateway, with no instances or servers to maintain.
- Templates for Specific Applications:
- For Web service, the AWS CodeStar project templates in this category support development in Ruby, Java, ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js, and more.
- For Web applications, AWS CodeStar project templates in this category support development in Ruby, Java, ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js, and more.
- For the Static web page, AWS CodeStar project templates in this category supports development in HTML5.
- For Alexa skills, you can choose Alexa skills with an AWS Lambda function.
- For the Config rule, choose the AWS Config rule that lets you automate rules across AWS resources in your account.
- Template for Programming Language:
- To select a programming language choose a project template such as Ruby, Java, ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js, and more.
As organizations emphasize agility and quality, few options come to mind, and AWS StarCode is one of them. We all know the immense potential of AWS, but CodeStar has taken up to another level. From starting a project from scratch and releasing it with excellence, AWS CodeStar takes care of every minute detail. Be it selecting a compute platform, type of application you want to build, selecting a language, or integration with inbuilt and external code repositories, AWS CodeStar does it all in minutes so you can focus on real work rather than distractions.